Friday, May 10, 2013

Value Menu Wars


So I came across this article talking about Wendy’s trying to compete with McDonald’s value menu gimmick.  McDonald’s has seen major profits with the American consumer by highlighting their awesome Dollar Menu.  With additions such as the Spicy McChicken sandwich and my personal favorite the Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger, McDonald’s has been looking for ways to cash-in with the value conscious consumer.  The interesting thing is that McDonald’s actually saw a loss in its profits in Europe and Asia.  McDonald’s is now trying to figure out how to compete in the “value menu” wars across the world figuring out what those demographics find to be valuable and what choices would be worth the purchase for those consumers around the world, especially those two continents.

Well Wendy’s rolled out their revamped value menu called Right Price, Right Size Menu. These items are around $1 -$2.  I took a look at their menu and it looks pretty decent.  It’s been awhile since the last time I went because ever since they introduced their new burgers, Wendy’s just wasn’t the same for me…look I love French fries but they do NOT require “Sea Salt” on them.  I may give this a shot, but I just love spending a buck on something.  The fact that some of these items are more than a dollar kinda messes that whole $1 mentality I have.



Back to my favy, McD’s, from time to time I explore the different McDonald’s websites belonging to different countries.  Ask anybody and they’ve probably seen me do it.  Since McDonald’s seems to be having an issue with their European and Asian consumers, I took a look a couple of their respective "value menus."  It’s pretty interesting stuff to look at. 

The UK has the Saver Menu which includes a Mayo Chicken sandwich, a side salad, a Double Cheeseburger and a bunch of McFlurry’s.  In Japan, there is the Value Picks menu which includes desserts, a double cheeseburger and a chicken or fish sandwich.  There’s definitely less to choose from on those two value menus and it’s probably a really smart idea for McDonald’s to step up its value menus in those areas.
So good job McDonald’s and Wendy’s!  Keep the prices down and choices up!

And by the way McDonald’s: Can the US get one of these? Please!

Here's a commercial for the UK's Saver Menu



No comments:

Post a Comment