Thursday, May 2, 2013

All Aboard the Yummy Express! Woo Woo!



One of the things I love the most is trying new restaurants.  When I moved to the city of Escondido, only a mere 30 minutes away from San Diego (BONUS!) the first place my boyfriend and I hit was Yelp.  Yelp is a great website where people post their reviews of different businesses….we use it almost exclusively for food finds.

When we moved to Escondido, we noticed this very small Chinese food place named Yummy Express; tucked between a Vons and a Mexican food place.  Upon further investigation, on the all mighty Yelp, we found that Yummy Express had a score of 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.  Seeing as it was only a 1 dollar sign restaurant and it was so nearby, we took the plunge and we’ve never looked back since.

Maybe I should back up a bit.  I’ve never really been a huge fan of Chinese food. It’s not so much the food but the effects the food has on me.  So I was a little leery about jumping in to this new Chinese food joint.  My boyfriend loves Chinese food but out of courtesy of my unpleasant after-effects, he allowed me to relegate Chinese food visits to once or twice a year.  Well it was about that time of the year and after finding this place, we made the leap.

Yummy Express is by far the best Chinese food I’ve ever eaten.  Not only is EVERYTHING freshly prepared in the kitchen by the wife and husband team that owns the restaurant but Yummy Express does not skimp on portions.  You know how when you go to, for example Panda Express and they use that larger portion of your Styrofoam container for rice and the smaller portion for you entrée…well Yummy Express does the opposite.  When you get a combo, the entrée you order is in the larger portion of that container and the rice (fried or steamed) is in the smaller portion.  On top of that, everything is topped off and is brimming over the container.  You also get a cream cheese wonton and a spring roll with every combo.  All that for around $6-$7.  More than enough for the hungriest appetite.

This past Monday I went to Yummy Express and got the Orange Peel chicken combo with fried rice.  This was the first time I ordered the Orange Peel chicken and it was fantastic.  The best I’ve ever had and I dare say it’s my favorite entrée thus far.  I will say that I make that declaration every time I go there but it was great.  Not over-fried at all.  It was crunchy; yet juicy, with actual orange peel in the gooey, sticky, fragrant sauce.  The fried rice is different than I have had before.  It’s more soy sauce based.  It has a good taste that complements all entrees and doesn’t take away from the main event.  I love their wontons.  It’s so crunchy and airy.  The spring roll; great again. 

Because I’ve never had a miss at Yummy Express, this Monday also marked the first time I’ve ordered their vegetable lo Mein.  Oh MY LANTA!!  This was awesome beyond words.  First off, in true Yummy style, the container was busting out with lo mein.  The noodles were perfectly cooked.  I'm a carb addict so on a gluteness (new word!) day like Monday; this will be a great addition to any entree they serve.  Or you can make a meal of it by itself; you could probably make two meals out of it in fact and for around $6. 

Also another entrée that I would highly recommend is their honey chicken.  It's very similar to the orange peel chicken except sweeter and mild.  It pairs very well with their steamed rice. I’ve had that three times and have not regretted once.

If you’re looking for a high quality, low priced and big portion dining experience, Yummy Express is where you need to be.  If you find yourself in Escondido and have a hankering for Chinese; stop what you're doing and go to Yummy Express.

Go Now-
Yummy Express
2335 E Valley Pkwy. - E
Escondido, CA 92027

Btw, I totally wanted to include pictures but guess what…I was way too busy enjoying my food to stop and take a picture…I guess that’s all the proof you need to show how good this food is.

Seriously…now….go!

Bun Rating:

4 1/2 buns out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment